Saturday, April 9, 2011

That Mahi Sandwich...

5459478950_eef76f207d.jpgOn my last blog I mentioned I was on the way to the keys to watch my son's lacrosse game after stopping to eat a mahi sandwich. Well this was no ordinary mahi sandwich...

I will start with some background on my eating to begin with. I am just not comfortable eating sandwiches. I do not like all the bread, if I eat some I like it to be specialized, such as  hemp, millet,  ezekial, or manna,
with some avocado, or almond butter on top for breakfast.

I am more comfortable with salads and veggies. It is what works for me and what I enjoy. I never feel deprived, when I want a bite of something I don't normally eat, I have it, and am usually very satisfied. I like my body to feel strong and yet light, agile in its movements. Eating primarily vegetarian, with fish thrown in, maintains it that way, it just works for me.

However I had made up my mind when I heard how outrageous this sandwich was at Craigs Famous Fish Sandwich Restaurant (Tavernier mile marker 89-across from Coral Shores HS) to totally indulge.

We sat down, we noticed it came with American cheese. I was surprised and thought how gross, cheese on a fish sandwich?... and I definitely don't eat American. My husband convinced me to sub it with provolone and go for it. Did I ever! It came so fresh on toasted bread with grill marks, I piled on the pickles, tomatoes, even some tarter sauce and ketchup. (my husband says it was quite the site watching me handling the plastic tarter sauce bottle-I don't know why that is the vision that stands out the most to him.) It was a 6 paper napkin sandwich, so messy! I ate every last bite, talked about each bite as I ate it and am so glad I did indulge.

I was describing the sandwich to a friend and they made mention it almost sounded orgasmic. Funny how a description of food can sound that way.  Food does give  such pleasure, if we are not battling against it.

Am I glad I ate it?  Yes, because I did not eat it mindlessly. I decided to eat it, relished it, savored it. Will I eat it again this week at the district finals back in the keys?  No I prefer my mahi over greens, but what fun it was!!   xo ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and support of Mindful Organics/Ginny Bakes!