Thursday, December 17, 2009

Jenna's Journey

This is a post written by Jenna, my niece, in her words only. If you haven't read the first posting of Jenna's Journey please read it first, it is dated August 17th.

When I began this journey I was in such a low place, not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually. When someone so close to you dies all you want to do is die right there with them, but you realize rather quickly that you don't die, you actually keep waking up. At that point I realized I needed to change who I had become, so I would not lose what good I still had. Most days I was so numb to positive things in my life, I didn't want to feel good. It's hard to feel grateful when you are experiencing so much pain.
However since I had to keep waking up, I thought I better pull myself together.
Putting my health first was something I had not done for awhile. My Aunt, Ginny Simon was great at helping me take the first steps: she put me in contact with so many great people who are now an integral part of my team. Her knowledge of organic foods, nutrients, and fitness has been so helpful in keeping me on track and informed of what I put into my body. I always look forward to what other little tip or secret she has hidden up her sleeve in my quest for living mindfully.

Throughout my journey I have set little goals for myself to keep me on track. A big goal of mine was to attend a yoga retreat in Tuscany with Fred Busch. I would never have dreamed this would be something I could do, but I decided I was going to put myself out there and take a risk. I started practicing yoga in July and wanted to be on a level where I could not only go through the motions of the class, but where I could actually feel the bliss of being in the moment with my body and breathing, by the time I would leave in November for the retreat. Yoga has truly become an activity that I enjoy and look forward to. I love that each time I practice I feel as if I had the most intense workout, but yet at the same time was completely calm and peaceful.

I did not really know what to expect on this yoga retreat. What I did know was I was in for a real adventure. The retreat really surprised me; I truly understood for the first time that pain is temporary. You have to stick with it, keep your head straight and realize the pain will end. As soon as I finished each hike or yoga class, I was so happy I finished it, and I was still alive and breathing! At the end of this retreat I felt like I was physically lighter, but emotionally fuller. My light clicked on and for the first time in a long time I felt an excitement for the future and a sense of pride in myself.

Being home I have continued my journey headstrong. I have an amazing trainer Damian at the Workout Spot in Coconut Grove. I attend his spinning classes twice a week and personal training sessions twice a week. He is excellent at tailoring the workouts to my fitness level, and is very innovative keeping the workouts exciting. I am continuing the yoga. Just a few weeks ago I was able to hold the crow position. I have been working on that pose for 5 months! My body is responding so well to the yoga and I am excited to see what other poses I can continue to overcome. At this point in my journey just waking up and going through the motions of the day is no longer good enough. I have plans and more importantly I have the drive to make plans.
I am very excited to see what the future holds for me and where my journey takes me. Just remember no matter how hard the work; it is worth every bit of it in order to be healthy! This is something I have to constantly remind myself too! xo jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and support of Mindful Organics/Ginny Bakes!