Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Lewisburg

This past Monday my husband and I celebrated our 24th anniversary. Pretty cool, especially since the two of us still feel like kids. We spent the weekend in West Virginia, and I was anxious to go apple picking, something I did do as a child and I looked back upon with a longing to do again.
We picked Morgan Orchard after traveling through beautiful country roads full of the colors of fall heading from Lewisburg, a small fascinating little town. Lewisburg has the feeling of being a small southern town entrenched with Civil War history, yet upon further exploring you begin to realize you are in a most magical, unusual place. The town was discovered after the Vietnam War by liberal Northerners, who seeked a place for their Back to the Land Movement. They lived in communes in the start up days, caring for each other's children as they grew their own food. As time progressed they incorporated themselves into the community. The arts are multifold, library stunning, and most alluring to me was the holistic, organic side and feel of the place. The gourmet market, Bellaluna, was filled with grass fed beef and chicken, all organic products. Even vital choice canned wild Alaskan salmon could be found there. The cheeses were from grass pastureland, alpine regions known for their higher omega 3 contents. The wines all organic. I went hunting down a yoga studio I saw a street sign for, it turns out it was 3 floors up on the most beautiful, creaky, old wood floors. The type that announces their connection and history to a place. The yoga studio had a sign on the door that Barbara had eye surgery and she was so sorry, for the interruption in yoga practice for her students. As I peeked in the door, I could see the peacefulness of her studio, simple floors with big windows looking out. The sparseness, was it's beauty. She was clearly living her passion. I could feel it without meeting her, just seeing part of her soul through her environment.
I was climbing down the stairs as gentleman popped out of his office. Within 2 minutes, I was sitting in a big armchair in his office having neuropathy done. Again a person living his passion, anxious to share. I was in my element, so much so, that I forgot I left my husband on the street saying I would be right back. He finally found me, baffled and yet could see my peace. To be so surrounded by people living their lives, doing good, healing work. Selling products that worked for our body and land. What a gift Lewisburg gave us on this our anniversary. I could go on, I haven't told you yet about the apple picking. Some stories are just meant to meander, to begin and end as they do... xo ginny



Though I never told you about our actual apple picking here is a great recipe. I plan to make for my boys tonight. Enjoy
Don't forget add extra cinnamon for it's protection against insulin and glucose spikes. Great for the management of type 2 diabetes as well.

Sour Cream Apple Pie
Recipe makes 1 pie
For the topping:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar 
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 


For the filling:
1 1/3 cups sour cream
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eeggs
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 large Granny Smith apples (about 2 1/4 pounds)


ginger whipped cream as an accompaniment


Make the topping: 
In a small bowl blend together the butter, the sugar, the cinnamon, and the flour until the mixture is combined well and chill the topping, covered, while making the filling.


Make the filling:
In a large bowl whisk together the sour cream, the sugar, the salt, the vanilla, the eggs, and the flour until the mixture is smooth, add the apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin, and stir the filling until it is combined well.


Spoon the filling into the chilled shell, smoothing the top, and crumble the topping evenly over it.  Bake the pie in the middle of a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until it is golden and the apples are tender, transfer it to a rack, and let it cool completely.  Serve the pie with the ginger whipped cream.


Easiest Pie Crust Ever
Makes 1 pie shell
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oil
2 tablespoons cold milk


Measure flour, sugar and salt into an 8-or 9-inch pie plate and whisk to blend.  Beat oil with milk and pour over the flour mixture.  Use a fork to mix just enough to moisten the flour, then press into bottom and sides of pie plate.  Use the tines of the fork to press into the top to form an edge.  If baking without filling, prick all over with a fork and bake at 425 degrees  for 15 minutes.  If using for a fill-and-bake pie, follow pie-recipe directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and support of Mindful Organics/Ginny Bakes!