Saturday, March 5, 2011

My Super Lunch

Thankfully. And finally. A long overdue- quiet day to read, catch up on emails and plan.

I am relaxed, running no where, holed up doing research and listening to music.  Though after a few hours of intense mental stimulation and absorption, the stomach growls.  Hmmm, a quick jaunt to the kitchen. A quick glance into the refrigerator and the ideas begin to spin. Every food I eat serves a purpose other than to satiate my hunger. Food is fuel. For nourishment. Sustenance. I set out to create an ultimate nutrition-packed melange of sorts.

I take some kale (dark leafy greens have the most concentration of nutrients, calorie by calorie and are rich in nutrients and vitamin C, B, E and K which is beneficial to the heart, arteries, bones) chop it up and saute with some coconut oil. Then I add spinach (beta carotene, vitamin K, folate), throw in some dried cherries and pinenuts (anti-oxidants, fiber and more vitamin K), then realize I want it more complex, so I pop out the broccoli (fiber and calcium).  I cut it up quickly into small florets, slice up some beets (for iron) and add in with everything else. The coconut oil, because of its high burning temperature) allows me to cook it all hot and fast. Then I place my sauteed concoction onto a beautiful dinner size plate and drizzle a mix of freshly squeezed orange and lemon with a splash of apple cider vinegar on top. But wait- I'm not done.

I find some leftover home-made hummus that is still raring to go.  I put a dollop of this in the middle of the sautee and voila! A fast, beautiful and nutrient overloaded lunch for me. All in a matter of minutes.

I am truly grateful for the quiet  time for me to gather thoughts...relax into myself and reap the rewards of  my culinary improv session in my very own kitchen.  Solitude at its finest.  xo ginny

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious and includes one of my favorites – Kale. I can't wait to try it. Thanks Ginny!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and support of Mindful Organics/Ginny Bakes!