Sunday, November 8, 2009

Fabadas de almejas

I brought one of my favorite books with me to review on the trip. The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth by Jonny Bowden. Since we are eating alot of clams  in my favorite dish Fabada de Almejas I decided to check out what the book had to say about them. Here goes... Clams are one of the richest sources of iron on the planet, containing many times the amount found in beef liver. And 3 ounces of clams provides a whopping 700% of the daily value vitamin B12 , plus 66% of the daily value for iron. 
The other major component in the fabada is the white beans, beans are a  major source of fiber, which is associated with lower risks of heart disease, diabetes, obesity and cancer. They are also a  good source of protein. They digest slowly, providing sustained energy and keeps our blood sugar levels staple. They also lower cholesterol and are loaded with protective phytochemicals, antioxidants, and vitamins.  Here's to fabadas and good health...I will figure out how to make a great pot of it when I get home and then share the recipe.  So good.   xo ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and support of Mindful Organics/Ginny Bakes!