Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fitness For YOU

I think by now, unless you are truly in denial (or living under a rock!) you know that exercise is a necessary component to living a full healthy life. In theory I strongly support Michael Pollan's theory- eat good foods, not too much and mostly plants. However a question frequently posed is: which is more important, good exercise or good nutrition?

I believe no amount of exercise in the world will take you to your optimum health unless you are also eating whole clean foods. When I say that, I mean for your OWN body. Yes, there is the understanding that calories taken in vs. burned, is what leads to a healthier number on the scale- yet what works for one individual might not work for another.

First, there is much debate about how much protein a body needs to maintain a strong and effective exercise routine and muscle mass. Some of the strongest athletes are strictly Vegan.  For others, the Paleo Diet works. And for others, The 21 day Clean Diet has changed their lives. On this note- when a new client comes to me, I never assume what will work until we explore their eating styles, cravings, digestion, habits...so many facets to look at. So undoubtedly the same applies to exercise.

Lately in South Beach (approximately 1st street north to 17th street in Miami Beach) the exercise possibilities have exploded! Again there are so many choices- no particular one better than another. You have to try several before you start to see your own results. Personally I have explored a lot of the options and here are my favorites, though each very different in style from the other.

Crossfit Miami Beach on 9th and Alton is owned by two guys, Nate and Mike. Crossfit Workouts which are called WODS -Workout of the Day. Crossfit gyms are all across the US and Canada and involve cardio, weights and innovative movements, that are fast paced, competitive, and short (some workouts are 20 minutes!).  I think the world of Jason, the early morning instructor, he is interested and treats everyone has if he is your own personal trainer making sure your form is correct. (Tell them you read my blog and take a free class!)

Green Monkey- can't tell you more than that I am a Yogi and this is my home. They now have 3 locations, South Miami, Miami Beach, and Midtown Miami- there is a level and class for everyone!

Jetset Pilates 110 Washington Avenue, ground floor of the Cosmopolitan condo. This is no ordinary Pilates class. You exhaust each muscle group. Wow were my quads on fire! My new love- a really cool, amazing hard core workout.

My trainer Jeff Shepard is opening his new gym Symbio this week on Purdy Avenue. Gorgeous, an unbelievable amount of equipment, a variety of classes and what makes it unique- Biofit. Biofit is their medical component to fitness which helps determine what foods and exercise type your body processes and reacts to best. Definitely useful information! And I must say that their views to the bay are beautiful, as you are doing your cardio. Whether you choose to hire Jeff or any of the trainers, or just join with a regular membership, I strongly recommend it if you live on the beach.  (You could be like me and 'live' on Purdy Avenue all morning between Green Monkey and Symbio- considering they are neighbors!)

And last but not least, Miami is now big time- joining NY and LA with our very own Soul Cycle. It is in the Mondrian Hotel on West Avenue. Great music, great instructors and you even use hand weights during the workout to make sure your upper body is not left without getting its cuts.

Whatever you choose to be your fitness kick- make sure to nourish and rehydrate the body afterwards.
What I recover with is a great smoothie. Here is one of my favorites.

Acai Smoothie
3.5 oz frozen Acai puree
1 Banana
1/2 cup frozen Raspberries
1/2 cup Pomegranate juice
1 TBSP Agave nector
1 TBSP spoon ground Flaxseeds.
Blend well and enjoy
Add protein powder if desired. I like Shapefood or Sun Warrior- my favorite Vegan protein powder.

Hope this gets you going! And if you have a class or fitness facility you would like to add please share and post it under comments. We would love to hear what else is going on out there in this ever expanding world of fitness!

Happy sweating!!!  XO Ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and support of Mindful Organics/Ginny Bakes!