Tuesday, May 31, 2011

An Oatmeal question...

My second son is in school in Chicago and I got a text with an important question...Could he cook oatmeal in a rice cooker? This is a child that needs to know all the reasons behind things, ( he is studying chemical engineering- that might explain a bit)  so my answer of no way led to multiple texts that led to a verbal discussion. As always he gives me food for thought, in this case literally. I decided to try and then thought- why not be more creative and put up a hot cereal for my younger boys for the next morning's breakfast. Instead of oatmeal though, I would make it  with quinoa, almond milk, raisins,  cinnamon, vanilla extract and agave.

Turned on the rice maker, left the kitchen and completely forgot about it...not  a wise thing! I came back into the kitchen just before going to bed to find my kitchen counter covered in a sticky beige substance, floating all over!  I cleaned up, saved what was still in the rice maker and served it for breakfast the next day (discovering I had permanently ruined my old favorite appliance). My boys were crazy for it, one ate it topped with granola and walnuts, the other just as served.

I made it again the next day (after purchasing a new rice maker)  with 1/2 water and 1/2 almond milk, and it came out so beautifully. The process seems to give the quinoa a beautiful consistency. I felt good sending the boys off on a super food that gives the body the  fuel for food.

I am including the picture that you see of my son's successful mission on his attempt to make oatmeal from the rice maker. His is a mini size. Even the mundane can be such interesting discussions. xo ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and support of Mindful Organics/Ginny Bakes!