Monday, September 21, 2009

Detoxing

Twice a year I do a fairly major juice detox. 
 So many problems in our society come from excessive use of food and drugs. 
If we ask ourselves is there anything we do on a daily basis that we would really miss if we did not have it? If so this activity is a habit or addiction. There are positive habits, like exercising, eating good foods, and getting proper sleep. I am hooked or addicted you could say to feeling healthy, strong and filled with energy. Yet there are many other habits that negatively affect our life and health and can lead to a vast amount of problems-physical, mental, and emotional. Common addictions include sugar, caffeine, alcohol, nicotine and drugs.
In other cultures fasting and detoxification is part of their way of life,  in Western society it is just coming into its own.
Taking breaks from things is a good way to assess our relationship to them and is often a good way to improve our health. When we treat ourselves with more respect and self-love, of caring for the body in a positive and loving way, we will choose less polluting ways of living and this lifestyle will produce less personal and planetary toxicity.

I personally detox to ease the burden my body has of cleaning out its toxins both from the food I eat and the toxins I breathe in from our environment. When we are constantly eating our body cannot clean out waste as well. When we rest it by fasting we allow it to go after  build up instead of continually just trying to keep up with what has entered. 
If our diet is very clean and nutritious, organic and process food free,  we need to detoxify less, more if we are eating a diet that has a lot of animal fat, white foods, alcohol and sugars.
When I am detoxing the first day is always difficult. I usually begin on a Sunday which in my house is the most difficult day. (I must like to punish myself or something) Food is everywhere...a noshing day. I know ahead of time to plan a day where we head to the movies or out for a great, long walk. Depending on how I feel determines how much I exercise,  some people  have very little energy and others  are fine. Today I did weights and went spinning and felt great, full of energy and still do as night has fallen. I love the feeling of being slightly hungry knowing my body is getting so clean inside and that I am rejuvenating myself. On Thursday when I end my fast, I will feel so strong both mentally and physically. Mentally because I made a promise to myself and honored it. If not to myself how can I honor others?  That feeling of wanting to nibble will be gone. I gain a greater perspective on what my body really wants, realization occurs that I need much less food than I was consuming.  My skin will be glowing, stomache flat and most of all I will feel deeply spiritual and content because a fast is the greatest gift I give to my body's well being.    xo ginny


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and support of Mindful Organics/Ginny Bakes!