Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Organic Gardening Class

Life is just so exciting these days...the days are just not long enough! Today was another incredible day. I got invited to join a dynamic group of women who are taking a six week course by Andres Mejides, a professor at Miami Dade and the owner of Elfin Organics in The Redlands. 
I sat there taking notes and smiling the whole time. So wonderful to be learning and laughing with like-minded people.  Andres taught today on composting referring to a textbook  titled
How To Grow More Vegetables.  I was like a sponge soaking the whole encounter in. The class was at a woman's home in So. Miami. Who I had heard mentioned by two new friends.  Her mother is very involved in Slow Food Miami, so I knew this was someone who had strong ties with the natural lifestyle, and who would be a treat to meet.  I was not disappointed! Her land is covered with natural habitat to Florida as well as large areas waiting for this years seedlings to be planted.   She manages a truly organic,  involved lifestyle while raising a young family. I knew it must be wild at times because when I called her to get the details of the course she answered the phone Grand Central Station! A woman of my own heart.
Lunch was beautiful from roasted carrots done to perfection to homemade babagunish, hummus, red quinoa, and a beautiful wheat berry salad with apples, scallions. cranberries, walnuts and a vingerette dressing. So perfect,  so healthy and not an ounce of dairy or animal flesh. What a joy it was to see a meal that did not sacrifice any animals and no one there expecting it.  We were sent home with huge beautiful avocadoes,  this time I had to stop and pick up some fresh cilantro to make guacamole.  Can't wait for the cilantro in my garden to be large enough to take cuttings from.
Could not wait to come home and play  in my garden an awe inspiring day.  All I can say is know when you are happy, be conscious and mindful of it.  Savor it. I am.    xo Ginny 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and support of Mindful Organics/Ginny Bakes!