Friday, August 7, 2009

Home to my organic life

Hi,
Well we had a fantastic time in Treasure Cay it is in the Abaco chain of islands. Very beautiful, very remote. I look forward to this trip every year. It is my families true down time, with 4 sons, 21 in a couple of weeks, 18, 16 and 15 it is where we truly just hang out. Boat, dive, snorkle and swim what I call the organic simple side of life. There is only one problem with this beautiful picture and it is pretty major for me! I miss my food. You are allowed to take into the Bahamas enough protein to feed your family for the amount of time you are there but no produce of any kind. Well the market situation is pretty dismal, just the local Golden Harvest or 27 miles away a larger supermarket that has a better selection of fruits and vegetables but again not much and nothing organic. Well I must admit and hope the proper authorities don't see this or if they do they forget by next year, I sneak food in, just never enough it seems. I always sweat just a bit as I do this but realize for me it feels like a necessity. An occasional sock gets unfolded only to find an avocado rolling forth, the scene repeats with each garment my family puts on. They groan, I smile with joy...  another fruit or veggie found. I enjoy myself greatly the first couple of days until the supplies of mine start to dwindle and I realize I am not relishing the sight as much as I should, of my sons downing all the grilled asparagus in a contest of who eats it the fastest. The greens start getting wilted, I imagine myself turning a bit orange under my tan from all the carrots and sweet potatoes I seem to have a profusion of.
It is Friday the day we are leaving and I know a new couch is home waiting for me to see, but all I can think about is whole foods can I get there tonight? The aisles of produce are calling to me in all their colors and splendor.    
xo  Ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and support of Mindful Organics/Ginny Bakes!