Sunday, August 2, 2009

mindful organics...the beginning

My Passion for the organic way of life began in a Fridays restaurant about 21 years ago. 


I was pregnant with my firstborn son Scott and was midway through eating a medium rare hamburger with a side of broccoli. The broccoli was for my enjoyment (I have always been a fan of vegetables since I was a young child) however the hamburger- I realized was not for me- it was solely for the protein and iron it would give Scott.


As I continued to reluctantly eat the burger, I decided that that this was going to be my last burger. Ever. Eating red meat was just not for me. I didn’t want to (and don’t) try to preach this to others and it wasn’t so much a conscious decision- it was just an internal understanding....that it just wasn’t okay with the code in which I wanted to live my life.  


As for chicken and turkey- they just never really ever interested my tastebuds. I have always preferred the veggie ‘side dishes’ and of course, fish. I could be described as a wanna be vegan, or a sometime vegetarian, a pescatarian or even a flexitarian...striving to be a locavore....but all are mere ‘titles’.  What I strive to be is internally happy,  balanced and spiritual. 


By taking the organic path- I feel it allows me to be the person I am working to be. Someone who treads here a little softer,  walks a cleaner path both for my own needs and hopefully for all of us sharing our earth. 


As for organics...I began to truly believe in the importance of organic food about 10 years ago after coming home from a 2 week trip to Italy. We all stayed in a farm house, my husband Steve and our 4 sons, and myself. We ate only the produce from the local village. We heartily enjoyed artisan breads, cheeses, wines, fresh fruits and vegetables. We abandoned our rigorous exercise routines for long wandering countryside walks.


When we returned home though we were surprised to find no weight gain, within a day of returning we all developed cramps and severe bloating. Our systems which had been so fulfilled with clean unpolluted foods could not tolerate all the toxins and pesticides added to the foods here. 


I then made a pledge to move into all organic foods. It did not happen over night, but gradually it did- and to this day our household is almost 100% organic including our cleaning products.  I have not had a cold or flu in at least 15 years. I feel extremely vital, strong and youthful. Actually I kind of feel like a kid. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and support of Mindful Organics/Ginny Bakes!