Sunday, August 2, 2009

raw. all or nothing?

I am frequently asked how I feel about the raw food movement.  I feel it’s incredible for one’s health but I also do not believe it has to be an all or nothing decision.  


To be fully raw means you only eat foods that have been heated no higher than 115 degrees Fahrenheit- this is a lofty goal. Maintaining a strictly raw diet can be very difficult  especially when you are on vacation, in social situations, or especially if you have digestion issues.  ‘Rawists’ always seem to have the most beautiful glow to their complexions and but some even develop an orangey glow from heavy carrot juicing!  


I personally try to eat primarily raw for my health as well as the pure enjoyment of it.  It takes a pure belief and understanding of the principals of the raw diet in order to stick with it, but I do feel you can adopt raw eating habits on a regular basis and balance it with ‘normal’ healthy eating habits too. 


Some people have the perception that a raw lifestyle will be an ideal diet. It is not. It can in fact add weight to your frame as a raw diet is often rich in heartier nut-based dishes. Eating raw is a lifestyle not a weight loss solution. (Though for me, the nut smoothies,  raw lasagnas and avocado nori rolls give me a great glow and a few healthy pounds as well!)


Bottom line is this. When you eat raw keep it clean and simple and adopt raw habits into your daily lifestyle and stick with it.  Add specialty dishes to cure food boredom and remember that calories count no matter where they come from.   xo Ginny


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and support of Mindful Organics/Ginny Bakes!